We were following a truck up Indian Canyon (from Helper to Duschene) when a deer ran out between us. I seriously didn't see the deer until it was in my hood. Thankfully, the truck I was following came back to make sure we were ok. Of course, we were at a spot in the canyon where I didn't get any cell reception so needless to say, I was very grateful that he came back to check on us. He went back up the canyon a few miles, called the Highway Patrol and my dad and came back to wait with us until help arrived.
Emma and Lucas were amazing through the whole ordeal. They only cried for about 20 seconds after we hit and I think that was mostly because I screamed and scared them. While we were waiting for the troops to arrive, Emma kept asking me why we weren't going anywhere. However, thanks to the DVD player from Grandpa Oz, she was so busy watching a movie that she didn't want to go anywhere even when the Highway Patrol showed up.
The tow truck took us back to my grandparents house in Helper where we met my dad and step-brother, Ryan. Emma was pretty distraught at the idea of leaving Silly Sally but when I explained that Sally was broken and had to get fixed, she was ok. She also informed me that next time I need to wait until the deer is done crossing the road. It was a good lesson in safety because I told her that the deer didn't hold her mommy's hand while she was crossing the street and that's why she got hit.
I am EXTREMELY grateful that we all came out ok. We hit the deer at the perfect spot in the canyon because just before and after, there were some pretty good drop offs down to the creek but where we were there was a pull out. It's a good thing we had our guardian angel, Grandma Susie, looking out for us that night.
The worst thing about the whole experience was feeling completely helpless. It was about 35 degrees outside, my car wasn't going anywhere and I had two small children in the car. It took me quite a while to calm down and say a prayer to have peace and comfort. Thank heavens for the sweet peace the Spirit can bring in times of need. I still cried, but mostly because I was mad at myself.
Thank you to everyone who came to our rescue!!




2 comments:
So glad you are okay and it didn't damage Sally too bad. Does that mean you don't get a new car?
Let's see if we can see a pattern...you + car = fire and road closures...you + car = dead deer...hmmmmmm
Post a Comment