Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Look what I made!


This was seriously the easiest project I have ever done.

I know it looks like a big pile of fluff but that just happens to be a tutu.

Want to make one? Get 2 yards of tulle (I got 1 yard of white and 1 of pink), a package of elastic (or you could use a ribbon), scissors (rotary cutters work wonderfully) and a needle and some thread. Measure the kids waist and cut the elastic to size. Sew the ends together. (If you use ribbon then I think you could just tie it every time.) Measure down your kids side to see how long you want the skirt to be (I did Emma's to her knees). Then cut the tulle into strips that are twice as long as you want the skirt to be. I wasn't really exact and I don't think it matters if they are all the same size. Then start tying the tulle onto the elastic so that the elastic goes in the middle of the tulle. I alternated between white and pink but you can do anything you want. I left some space in between the strips and it turned out really poofy. I guess it all depends on how big you want the skirt to be. As you can tell, Emma loves it and it only cost me about $3.50 to make!

I saw this on another site but I can't remember which one so I can't give credit where credit is due.

Keep your eyes open to see this skirt starring in it's premier role at Halloween.

Want to do something else really cool with tulle? Check out this idea...
http://jas.familyfun.go.com/crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=12189&CMP=NLC-NL_Wkdr_0708_cool_canopy

2 comments:

Ruthy said...

Super cute!! Good work :)

Johnsons Away said...

That is so cute, good job.